Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Comfortable Silence by Julia Johnson

Comfortable Silence

Working in a restaurant
has forced me to become attuned
to even the faintest sounds
Footsteps tip toeing near me
cause me to look up
from my seated position
on the white tile floor
A bag of crackers in my left hand
A price gun in my right hand
And I stop moving
You stop moving, 
glancing down at me
You are aware of 
my presence
The white shirt you wear
echoes off your pale skin
But your green eyes
glint beneath these fluorescent lights
They catch my attention
And for just a second,
a single, fleeting moment
Where time comes to a 
Stop
I dive head first into the lagoon
those eyes make
No one else noticed this
pause
in breath 
but I did
and I think 
You did too
No words were exchanged
Just a comfortable silence
And that seemed to be
Enough. 

No comments: