Monday, January 19, 2015

Kidnapped by Matthew Ciaramitaro

My captors have been quite kind to me,
Much more than their predecessors.
The first ones found me on the streets,
Coming in a roaring earthquake, at which I was the epicenter.
Trapped in a cage I then looked for escape.
I tried to squeeze through the bars to no avail.
They returned seeming strangely elate,
And punctured me with a glaring needle.
After some time I observed my surroundings.
Hidden in the room were hundreds of others,
Imprisoned with no real grounding.
They must keep our screams muffled.
They opened our cells to give us food scraps,
When they came to me I refused to be trapped.

My escape was easily foiled, but patient I must be.
There is always a route, and always a way,
To regain one’s liberty.
Nothing can keep me from being free.

They moved me one day, so I cut them with my nails.
This new room was filled with what i can only describe as slave buyers.
If I went with them it would be much harder to fail
In my quest for freedom, so my hopes were raised higher.
“Notice me, buy me, I’m the most valuable asset here.”
I showed my strengths and attracted a single slaver.
My heart beat fast, my moment was near.
“Soon I will escape and I’ll finally be safer.”
The slaver tossed me in a coffin, and drove me to his home.
He began calling me some name in his strange language.
Yet, he fed me well and allowed me to roam
And to the streets I lost my languish.
If I escape they will come for me again,
I won’t be so lucky, and I’ll die in a cage.

Now I’m in a prison, but can leave any time.
I pretend to love my masters, and they leave me alone.
My work is quite easy, I must simply chime
A song, or entertain them with everything I know.
Why should I leave, it’s safer at present.
I can’t leave, it might be worse outside.
My age as I count it is seven,
As the day I was taken, was the day I died.
My identity is young, but my body old.
As I’ve grown frailer my captors have barely grown.
I can no longer overpower them, despite what I’ve told.
My life is wasted simply sitting in their home.
Death. The truest freedom I could ever have.
It ends their happiness. Revenge through loss of love.

No comments: