Friday, November 21, 2008

Collapse. by Rose Pleuler

Collapse.
by Rose Pleuler

Sorry I left that pile of dust in the bath tub,
but this sort of thing comes on with very little warning.
Under the splinters of a hot shower on a morning
so cold that my hands were bruised a dull purple,
I could feel bits of me
harden like a clay shell beneath the heat
and begin tighten and tighten on me
as it dried, until even the slight twitch of my wrist
caused tearing up the seams of my body,
making way for deeper cracks
that echoed redness
and sectioned my skin off into sharp platelets
that scraped against each other,
each section a piece to an ancient mechanism
that produced the same metal shards,
sliding into dry piles on the cold porcelain,
that you left in a clump at the back of my throat.
The metal taste in my mouth was getting strong,
and I'm sorry for when I say
I would rather be hardened, tightened, dried, torn, cracked, and scraped,
than have you
repair me.


2 comments:

srasmussen said...

Fabulous. Very evocative.

Unknown said...

I enjoy the entire poem, but as I told you before...the first line has stuck in my brain and keeps dancing around.